Sunday, February 24, 2013

Travel photographer





"From time to time, I get surrounded by this sense of insecurity out of nowhere. This insecurity is not that of real life, rather this is more ambiguous. It's this deep feeling of guild for living such an eventless life and suddenly I am so dissatisfied with everything that is around. A flow of disturbing emotions isolated from all contexts. This disturbing emotions gradually form into something like a black mass and their heavy weight comes onto my head and my shoulders until I can no longer stand it. Just like that, my journey beings, as if to run away from this agony.
I choose the most unfamiliar place and walk around in remote area and shoot with my camera aimlessly. This behavior is so illogical and it is the exact opposite of being productive, however, my heart can stay calm while taking pictures. I go around shooting and fantasize about the lives of other people. I think about everyday life in unknown places like a mountain village or a small town near the ocean, I think about living in different time period or different gender or generation. I long for all sorts of emotions that I have not yet experienced.
All of this leads me to sheer confusion. Lost without a destination. In my photos, I search for clues, but photos are always dark and fuzzy and they are strangely lacking the time element such as "when and where." What was once a reality in front of my own eyes is captured as if it is someone else's perspective from a long time ago. And I'll be forced to stay in the dark room facing this sense of insecurity all over again, and I'll be back on the road leading to the bottom of my heart from there on once and again".


"On the way" Masato Hattori

No comments: